Monday, December 14, 2009

A Girl Anachronism.



Music: "Girl Anachronism" by The Dresden Dolls

To be completely honest I'm not exactly the type of girl to keep an online blog. I'm more of a handwritten leather-bound type of gal. However, Em asked me and I figured why not. It'd probably even be fun. So pardon the newbie-ness of my posts. Also my blog is gonna be pretty plain until I can fix it up with fun html codes and such. Alas, I won't be able to play until after finals.

I suppose an intro if anything is a nice way to start...

Hello! I am Alejandra. The 'j' is pronounced like an 'h' in spanish. I'd like to say I'm from 'down the rabbit hole' but let's be honest, we all are down there thanks to our current society. Therefore I hope you can be content with the U.S. I am 19 and a sophmore in college majoring in English and History major, I work at my school's newsaper editing articles and hope to grow up to become the female version of Neil Gaiman.

Neil Gaiman...what can I say to have that make more sense? I honestly have a couple of heroes. Neil Gaiman is my hero in terms of writing. He is the most brillant writer alive. I say alive because there are other writers I look up to such as Jane Austen, Shakespeare, Emily Bronte and Alexandre Dumas...however they are sadly all dead. Neil Gaiman changed my life and saved me. His work brought me back out of a sadness and depression and taught me not only new ways to write my stories but new ways of looking at life. That is why you will see so many pictures of Death from The Sandman graphic novels by Neil Gaiman, on my page. Who knew I'd learn about life and its values from a character who is supposed to represent the end of everything?

Audrey Hepburn may be more of an 'icon' but she is still someone I look to. She was very classy and a talented actress. I have seen everything she has been in and those movies can never grow old. I hold her work closer to my heart than any other movie I have seen. Other movies I love, I love because of how they were artistically done or written. Or...I'm just a geek...which is why I love Serenity and Star Trek so much. XP

Music wise I love music that is not exactly mainstream Top 40s. I love artists like Cristina Scabbia in Lacuna Coil or Amanda Palmer in The Dresden Dolls. Those two women are brilliant writers and performers. The World/Inferno Friendship Society brings me so much insperation for my writings. I'm fine with anyone listening to mainstream Top 40s. But honestly...a good set of lyrics can take you so much further. Also...whatever happeend to an instrument? It seems those are now lost to the music of today. Give me classic rock (like Janis Joplin and Bob Dylan), hard/punk rock (like Lacuna Coil), and Punk Cabaret (The Dresden Dolls and World/Inferno) any day.

If you're ok with odd things, random outbursts and commentary, loud people, and stuff that is just plain...different. We will get along swimmingly.

For the time being, I should sleep. I have to get up bright and early to kick off my wonderful finals week. *coughs*

Hasta luego,
Alejandra

"I dont necessarily believe there is a cure for this
so I might join your century but only as a doubtful guest
I was too precarious removed as a caesarian
behold the worlds worst accident
I AM THE GIRL ANACHRONISM"
~From: "Girl Anachronism" by The Dresden Dolls (Album: The Dresden Dolls)

(PS) To get credit over with: Picture of the woman in the mirror is from the graphic novel/game Mirror's Edge. Screenshot if from Electronic Arts. all icons were created by iconomicon on LJ. So don't sue guys your work is awesome. I'm just a fan.

5 comments:

Emily Norene said...

Teach me these codes of which you write!.. because I forgot them all. Sorry.

And this Neil person sounds excellent.

I like the word "swimmingly." It is excellent.

Alejandra said...

Haha...it's alright. You don't use them as much as I do. When I get mine together I promise to sit with you and work on yours. I've noticed many of the codes are different here but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Yes he is. You should read some of his work. I think you might like Neverwhere. It's a cross between Alice In Wonderland and The Wizard of OZ. It's all fantasy though.

Ahaha, it is indeed. <3 you

Emily Norene said...

Okay, coolness.

Oh my word, sounds amaziin. Do you have it? Borrow?

LOVE YOU MORER!!!!

So, the word verification for me to post this comment is "hoselpat" and it makes me think of a German food or some sort of sexual action.

"Hoselpat is so delicious on a cold afternoon!"

or

"Hoselpat me in the face."

Personally, I'm hungry for some hoselpat.

Alejandra said...

I do have it. I have almost everything he's ever written. I can let you borrow it over break. It was originally a miniseries on BBC. But BBC messed things up so he wrote the novel to show how it really all was. I also have the BBC miniseries for when you're finished reading it if you like. ^_^

LMAO Hoselpat! XP

I wonder if it'd be better baked, boiled, or fried. Hmmm...

Emily Norene said...

Let's have a BBC party. I like their Pride and Prejudice.

Duh, fried! What isn't better fried?